Our group rides and coronavirus (COVID-19)

edited on Tue 17 Mar at 21:35 in General
For information about coronavirus (COVID-19) please go to the NHS website

We have reluctantly decided that we have to cancel all of our forthcoming rides until further notice. Also, our tours programme is extremely unlikely to continue as currently planned. Tour organisers will be in touch with anyone already booked with more information in due course.

Cycling UK have asked all its member clubs to cease organising group rides. There is also an article about cycling solo which answers a number of common questions.

It’s safer to be outside than inside when it comes to disease transmission. The best plan for riding right now is to go out and ride solo and enjoy the outdoors.

Getting in 30 to 60 minutes of moderate to brisk activity can help your immune system keep viruses at bay. Be sure you know what’s going on in your area and if there are any restrictions or mandatory self-quarantines. And, if you’re sick or at-risk of spreading the virus, you shouldn’t go out. (https://www.bicycling.com/news/a31469228/cycling-during-coronavirus/)

Comments

• Good advice at Emily's Tea Shop in Whitwell, Hertfordshire today. Also sign on counter asking people to wait before taking their seats so that the tables can be disinfected. All very well organised. And I'm pleased to say they were doing good business today.

• I wonder if it's worth updating the Rides landing page ( https://www.centrallondonctc.org.uk/rides ) ?  We've moved on from household only, local and time limited.

Maybe add a link from the Rides page to the Forum page if that's to be the way of doing non-solo rides?

• I don't think we should be openly advertise rides other than to regulars who we hopefully know and trust. The forum rides are not officially CLCTC rides, so the leader can accept or refuse any rider as they wish. This may not be true (under CUK regs) if we are seen to be promoting them.
  • I agree with Angus that the info on the Home and Rides pages had become out of date. I have updated them to reflect the latest rules, and included a link to the forum - I think that the emphasis on them being informal rides is enough to distinguish them from official club rides. 
  • Richard said:
    I agree with Angus that the info on the Home and Rides pages had become out of date. I have updated them to reflect the latest rules, and included a link to the forum - I think that the emphasis on them being informal rides is enough to distinguish them from official club rides. 
    May I suggest "and should not rely on any refreshment or toilet facilities being available".
  • Good point - now updated.