Thursday Rides (Blue Oyster)

2»

Comments

• We're off to see the wizard...
  • Angus said:
    On my maps, yellow roads are A and M roads, which I try and avoid!

There's a legend for real maps here

(Interestingly, the link on the OS website to the official 1:50k legend is a 404 -- I've emailed OS tech support!)
  • Hi all Simon's wife here.  His chain broke on the way to St Pancras this morning so had to go home and get another bike.  He could be 30 minutes late unless he can catch you up at Orpington.
  • On Thursday I am going to get the 09.36 from London Blackfriars which should arrive at Sutton at 10.17, 5 mins before the Victoria train. Would be useful if I could know someone else who is going to be on the ride so I could ring them if for any reason I am going to be late. Richard
  • Apologies, won't be there (overnight to Shoreham on Sea on Friday). 
  • And it’s bound to be hilly!!!
  • RichardD said:
    On Thursday I am going to get the 09.36 from London Blackfriars which should arrive at Sutton at 10.17, 5 mins before the Victoria train. Would be useful if I could know someone else who is going to be on the ride so I could ring them if for any reason I am going to be late. Richard
    I'm aiming to go on Thursday so, by all means,  ring me on 07976 921858, if necessary.
  • I will be sweeping up on the Victoria train.  

• edited on 8 Oct 2019 at 23:06
    The Oyster zone has been extended. Potters Bar, Radlett, Hertford North and other stations are now included. See the August map here: https://tfl.gov.uk/maps/track/national-rail

Note that Brookman's Park is Contactless but not Oyster.

Also note that it is still cheaper to use a train ticket and Network Card to Potters Bar at weekends. However, it is cheaper to use Oyster than a Network Card to Chorleywood and Amersham in the week and at weekends.

If you have a Senior Railcard, I believe you can link it to your Oyster. You can't link a Network Card. https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/free-and-discounted-travel/national-railcard-discount
  • edited on 9 Oct 2019 at 10:19
    Oyster, but not Free Oyster / Freedom Pass afaik.
  • edited on 9 Oct 2019 at 12:27
    Yes, on National Rail routes the 60+/Freedom pass is only valid to stations within the GLA area - so Hadley Wood in LB Barnet, but not Brookmans Park/Potters Bar, which are in the County of Opportunity.  Similarly, valid from Liverpool St to Enfield Lock (LB Enfield), but not Waltham Cross, Cheshunt or Broxbourne (Herts), although PAYG Oyster is valid to Broxbourne. 

This doesn't apply to any service run by TfL itself, so the 60+/Freedom pass is valid anywhere on the Tube, TfL Rail and the Overground, even where these extend well outside London (eg, Amersham, Epping, Shenfield).

Anyone living in a London borough who has a Senior Railcard would also be entitled to a 60+/Freedom pass, so there wouldn't be any real point them getting a PAYG Oyster and linking it to their Railcard. It would be worth it, of course, if they live outside London but travel regularly within it.  
  • Tomorrow's ride - ie 31 October.  Isn't it exactly the same ride we did on 13 June?
  • Re-Blue Monday Nov 3 This week, the turning off the A1393 to Ivy Chimneys before Epping was completely impassable due to road works. I guess this may not obtain on Monday. Further out into Essex. the Great Leighs to Felsted road at Thistley Green is also blocked for several months due to bridge work, not that this will affect mid-week rides.
  • I don’t know the area very well but surely we can find ways round the blockages or do you think we should think up another route?
  • Thanks for the warning.
    The Ivy Chimneys turn is closed till at least Nov 16. Revised route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31368287

If you mean the little bridge over the Ter at Cock Green, it's listed as closed till December 12.
  • If it's still closed, you can turn at the mini roundabout down to Epping station.  No extra distance.
  • Yesterday, I mentioned the Tom Simpson talk at the Water Rats this Monday. I understand it's £10 entry. This is the info:

"We have been contacted about a talk taking place on Monday 11th November about Tom Simpson at the Water Rats Theatre, WC1X 8BZ

As well as discussing the life of, arguably, Britain's greatest-ever cyclist, Chris Sidewell will be bringing his world champion jersey and the bike on which Simpson won Paris-Nice in 1967, beating his team-mate Eddy Merckx.

Chris will be in conversation with former Procycling magazine writer Duncan Steer.

A miner's son from Nottinghamshire, Tom Simpson made the trip to Europe on his own, as a 21-year old, with £100 and two bikes, looking to break into professional racing. A year later, he made his Tour de France debut. Simpson's story inspired and captured the imaginations of cycling and general sports fans in both France and the UK. In 1965, he became the first British rider to win the road world championships and was voted BBC Sports Personality of the Year.

Chris Sidwells, a longtime contributor to Cycling Weekly, Cycle Sport and many other publications, will be selling and signing copies of 'Cycling Legends 01 Tom Simpson', his new biography, that reveals the full story of Simpson's life, complete with input from team-mates, led by Eddy Merckx. 

Chris is keen to present Tom Simpson's inspirational story, a story that is often overshadowed by his tragic death during the 1967 Tour de France.

• micko said:
    Yesterday, I mentioned the Tom Simpson talk at the Water Rats this Monday. I understand it's £10 entry. This is the info:

"We have been contacted about a talk taking place on Monday 11th November about Tom Simpson at the Water Rats Theatre, WC1X 8BZ

As well as discussing the life of, arguably, Britain's greatest-ever cyclist, Chris Sidewell will be bringing his world champion jersey and the bike on which Simpson won Paris-Nice in 1967, beating his team-mate Eddy Merckx.

Chris will be in conversation with former Procycling magazine writer Duncan Steer.

A miner's son from Nottinghamshire, Tom Simpson made the trip to Europe on his own, as a 21-year old, with £100 and two bikes, looking to break into professional racing. A year later, he made his Tour de France debut. Simpson's story inspired and captured the imaginations of cycling and general sports fans in both France and the UK. In 1965, he became the first British rider to win the road world championships and was voted BBC Sports Personality of the Year.

Chris Sidwells, a longtime contributor to Cycling Weekly, Cycle Sport and many other publications, will be selling and signing copies of 'Cycling Legends 01 Tom Simpson', his new biography, that reveals the full story of Simpson's life, complete with input from team-mates, led by Eddy Merckx. 

Chris is keen to present Tom Simpson's inspirational story, a story that is often overshadowed by his tragic death during the 1967 Tour de France.

• For Thursday 14th November:
    There's a Met Office warning for very heavy rain, along with 'Feels Like' temperature of 0°.
    I will look again Wednesday A.M., but may abandon - please check here and/or the website before venturing out.
  • Panic over, see some of you at Marylebone.