Coronavirus - latest government guidance, and advice from Cycling UK

edited on 10 Jul 2020 at 07:51 in General

Cycling UK has now updated its advice for members. For CLCTC members the main change is that you can now cycle with a friend who is not a member or your household as long as you keep two metres away from them at all times.

Following the Prime Minister's statement on Sunday 10 May, governments in England, Scotland and Wales have all said they are changing either guidance or regulations regarding exercise outdoors. This advice will be updated fully once the new guidance or regulations have been published. FOR ENGLAND ONLY, the main changes relating to cycling, which come into force on Wednesday 13 May, are:

• There will be no limit on duration or frequency of exercise; however official advice remains that you should stay at home 'as much as possible'
  • You will be able to travel any distance in order to exercise
  • You will be able to meet and exercise with one person who is not a member of your household, provided you maintain social distancing of at least two metres.
Source: https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/coronavirus-qa-it-safe-cycle

Comments

• edited on 28 May 2020 at 22:28
    The new rules say that from Monday 1st June in England, you will be able to meet up to six people from different households outside - as long as you remain 2m (6ft) apart.  At the time of writing the advice on the Cycling UK website hasn't caught up with this.  At the risk of dancing cummings-like on the head of a pin - do we think this is an opportunity for small groups to ride together, and if so, how do we go about organising it?
  • British Cycling have said that they expect to allow group rides from July 4th: https//road.cc/content/news/british-cycling-extends-suspension-activities-273819. I presume CTC will follow. Until then, I'm staying with 'by invitation' rides. If we advertise, we'll end up with problems. Technically, any CTC member is allowed on any CTC ride, which clearly doesn't work. But I don't want to either turn people away at the start, nor to end up with an oversized ride.
    P.S. 2m is 6'6". The Government is strict on regulations. Mostly.
  • edited on 28 May 2020 at 20:33
    The new rules say that from Monday 1st June in England, you will be able to meet up to six people from different households outside - as long as you remain 2m (6ft) apart.  At the time of writing the advice on the Cycling UK website hasn't caught up wit this.  At the risk of dancing cummings-like on the head of a pin - do we think this is an opportunity for small groups to ride together, and if so, how do we go about organising it?
    Probably yes but with some difficulty...

This is similar to the relaxed measures in Northern Ireland which were introduced last week. CTC had this to say on the NI guidelines.

"The new regulations also now permit up to six people who are not from the same household to gather outdoors while maintaining social distancing. That means that six cyclists gathering to chat, whilst maintaining social distance, would not seem to be in breach of the regulations. Unfortunately, it’s unclear whether six cyclists riding two metres apart would be breaching the regulations, which would depend on whether or not that group ride was classed as an outdoor gathering. New guidance doesn’t assist either, referring to up to six people who aren’t members of the same household being able to meet outdoors while observing social distancing, which raises the same question about whether people cycling together are “meeting” whilst they cycle.

"Cycling UK’s advice is therefore that it is unclear whether you can only cycle on your own, or with members of your household (or carers), or whether socially distanced group riding of up to six people is permitted." https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/coronavirus-qa-it-safe-cycle

So I'm guessing that CTC will update the guidelines for England in a similar way. As a CTC member club we have to follow their guidance - which doesn't say you can but also does not say you cannot organise a group ride with up to six people, socially distanced. 

I suggest we wait and see. 

Personally - due to an underlying health condition - I don't feel comfortable riding with more than one other person because people in groups tend to drop their guard. But I think people could use this forum to organise rides together from 1 June as long as they limit the riding group to six or less and social distanced.

If ok with CTC -  send an email out to members suggesting people post a ride on the forum and see how it goes.

• edited on 28 May 2020 at 20:54
    This forum is particularly useful for controlling numbers on a ride. A pro forma would be:

Someone (registered leader) posts offering to lead a ride (into https://www.centrallondonctc.org.uk/forum/categories/rides-and-tours) and allows up to five people to put their names down by posting a comment by, say, 6pm on the eve of the ride. Only those listed will be accepted on the ride by the leader, plus any riders to fill the remaining spaces.
  • Exercising in groups of 6 allowed from June 1st according to latest statement: http://tiny.cc/n1yzpz

• edited on 1 Jun 2020 at 16:40

CTC have now issued this advice and graphic.

You can now meet outside with up to five other people, provided those from different households continue strictly to observe social distancing rules by staying two metres apart. At various points the guidance specifically mentions meeting outside, spending time outdoors, and exercising and playing sport in groups up to six people being allowed (subject to social distancing), which would appear to confirm that up to six people can now cycle together in a socially distanced group, though cycling in a group is not specifically mentioned in the guidance.

In relation to travelling to exercise or spend time outdoors, the guidance also states that you shouldn’t travel with someone from outside your household “unless you can practise social distancing, for example by cycling”, which implicitly acknowledges that more than one person can cycle with another whilst maintaining social distancing. https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/coronavirus-qa-it-safe-cycle

Update: 17.30, 1 June 2020. CTC has now advised that member groups can organise groups rides for up to six in a group.

Following renewed advice from the Government, Cycling UK is advising cyclists that they can take part in group cycling activity in accordance with their nations guidance.  

On 1 June, the new guidance has come in effect, making it clear that there is no limit on duration or frequency of exercise, or the distance you can travel to exercise.

As a result of this revised guidance, Cycling UK has taken the decision to allow group riding and activities, in accordance with government guideline in their nations. https://www.cyclinguk.org/news/coronavirus-cycling-uk-group-cycling-advice-guidance

With the above guidance issued I think should ask leaders to organise rides on the forum, as they need to draw up a list of riders. Leaders also need to recognise that the group riding insurance is only gives us cover so long as we stick to the published guidance.

Post ride on forum. Collect a max of five riders. Warn that those not listed may be turned away

Max of six in a group and keep 2m apart at all times.

Do not use public transport to assist the ride

Bear in mind that there are no public toilets open. Plan some natural breaks with adequate cover!

Once I have agreement from the committee I intend to email the one star riders and invite them to organise rides via the forum with the instruction that they can only allow up to six riders in a socially-distanced group, and they must not run a train-assisted ride.

Any comments, suggestions?

• I can join or lead rides. Details in my Essex/Herts post.

It may make sense to have more than one group out on a particular day.

Different people have different priorities and abilities. My priority is greenery and quiet roads. It's easiest for me to leave London by heading north or east.

• Angus said:

I can join or lead rides. Details in my Essex/Herts post.

It may make sense to have more than one group out on a particular day.

Different people have different priorities and abilities. My priority is greenery and quiet roads. It's easiest for me to leave London by heading north or east.

Angus. Thanks for your comment. At the moment we are minded to stick to riders doing private rides, as indeed you are doing. I think a lot of people are quite anxious about venturing out with a group. I certainly am.