Censorship on the Central London CTC Forums

Dear Richard, lets start with the niceties of your reply:- 1) there is a time and a place to express anger; after about 64 years of cycling, it’s the first time I’ve felt so angry at the system and now, by the somewhat pompous nature of your reply. 2) it was Sunday Morning; no one in the local council traffic department of that I can be sure and why trouble the police? It’s not their issue when all said and done; it is down to the contractors and their, imho, careless employees BUT no supervision on site. 3) if you read the CTC website, far more angry responses than mine have been expressed on any number of issues and allowed to continue. One example was the anger expressed at the termination of the employment of a former Technical Editor just at the time CTC was becoming CUK! Any form of censorship says more about the censor than that which is censored unless it is blatant obscenity, threatened violence or downright lying. You obviously choose to censor so I am afraid you’d be upset by things vented in public whether by politicians, personalities or “ Joe Public!” Quite frankly far worse than what I expressed is seen on MumsNet. I am very disappointed in your reaction. Where else can cyclists express themselves to fellow travellers? Oh, and incidentally there was no board the workmen could point me to!

All regards, Mike 

What caused this censorship? Look below if it is allowed. 

My original posting:-

Well it all blew up today; at the junction of Blackheath Hill and and Greenwich High Road, where there is a Travelodge, there were work crews who had disabled the traffic lights to enable their road works. However, their temporary traffic lights weren’t working. Traffic coming downhill at a pace, despite their lane being the one being repaired. Traffic from all other three directions was stymied. Pedestrians were isolated on the traffic islands etc. I asked the crews what was wrong; I might as well have spoken to a concrete wall: either, “not our problem, “or “so what?”

I am fed up of roads being repaired, streets closed for developments and no alternative signage, and obviously local councils or highway authorities don’t give a sh@t. 

So, somewhat annoyed, I crossed on foot, defying traffic and road on. I did avoid riding through Greenwich Foot Tunnel unlike many fellow riders but after that, I ignored the, “Cyclist Dismount,” signs, “ No Entry except Buses / Taxis,’ signs and a few more of the petty signages along my routes through central London and back through Bermondsey to Lewisham. astonishing should we respect signage when we ourselves are not respected. I still won’t cycle on pavements however, I leave that to the modern form of chicken on two wheels

Richard’s reply closing the discussion before anyone else commented.

This does sound frustrating, but posting this here isn't going to achieve anything.

I suggest you report the defective lights to the local authority responsible for that road and/or TfL and/or the company doing the work (there will be a board nearby with contact details). 

My reply to Richard, is at the head or this discussion.

Comments

• Mike,

I was going to to reply privately to your email, but as you've posted the content here I'll reply here.

1)  You have not been censored. Your original post was not deleted and is still visible to anyone who visits this forum (so you didn't need to repeat it all above), nor have you been banned from posting (as this thread proves). 

2)  I'm sorry that you feel my reply was pompous, but I consider that it was merely factual. 

3)  This forum is mainly used by members of Central London CTC to discuss our own rides and related matters. We are happy for non-members to use it to ask questions about our activities or provide useful and relevant information, but I (and my fellow moderators) didn't think that your post fell into that category. The "letting off steam" was served by your post, which, I repeat, was not censoredAny useful further discussion would be with the council/TfL/contractor, not here.

Richard. 
  • Richard said:
    Mike,

I was going to to reply privately to your email, but as you've posted the content here I'll reply here.

1)  You have not been censored. Your original post was not deleted and is still visible to anyone who visits this forum (so you didn't need to repeat it all above), nor have you been banned from posting (as this thread proves). 

2)  I'm sorry that you feel my reply was pompous, but I consider that it was merely factual. 

3)  This forum is mainly used by members of Central London CTC to discuss our own rides and related matters. We are happy for non-members to use it to ask questions about our activities or provide useful and relevant information, but I (and my fellow moderators) didn't think that your post fell into that category. The "letting off steam" was served by your post, which, I repeat, was not censoredAny useful further discussion would be with the council/TfL/contractor, not here.

Richard. 

• Thank you for that Richard. I recognise your view but I believe cyclists should stand up for their rights and their grievances. Mike